Apr

Krusty Gets Busted6

“You can emerge now from my chips.  The opportunity to prove yourself a hero is long gone.” – Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

1. 1 Bleeding Gums Murphy
    29 April 2015 at 9:23 am

Something I never thought about it until I read this episode’s review on Me Blog Write Good…
    I wonder what was the viewers’ reaction back in 1990 when they saw Sideshow Bob speaking for the first time. We now take for granted his love for high culture, but I assume it was a surprise when this episode was aired for the first time.

• 2 Anonymous
      29 April 2015 at 12:14 pm

I don’t think they made ANY assumption, nor was it (really) shocking… Sideshow Bob prior to this was just a voiceless, bland background character with only a slide-whistle as his only means of communication. The template was pretty much blank, helpfully filled in by Kelsey Grammer’s voice and Brad Bird spicing up the design after hearing it.

• 3 Bleeding Gums Murphy
        29 April 2015 at 7:06 pm

I’m not saying it was a shocking revelation, just saying that you wouldn’t expect a simple voiceless man working on a kids’ show and Krusty’s substitute to suddenly talking about high culture.

29 April 2015 at 5:06 pm

I still don’t get how did he manage to disguise himself as Krusty with only make-up on his face. I thought the logical explanation was that he hired someone to impersonate Krusty… But then Lisa’s deduction about the length of Bob’s feet wouldn’t have made sense. It’s just… weird.
    I usually omit Season 1 when I’m thinking of “Classical Simpsons” though, because let’s be honest: a) it wasn’t a ‘full’ season and b) back then it still followed the “Simpsons shorts” logic, by which, there was almost no consistency between the episodes. Pretty much like when somebody starts a webcomic and 2-3 years later their final result looks nothing like the first 20 strips or so.

• 5 Belle O'Donna
      29 April 2015 at 5:20 pm

Yeah, that is also why I don’t care much for season one (though my beef is with the pacing and the hideous art style), barring the Christmas episode and some of the Bart-centric episodes, like the one where he goes to France, the one where he cheats on the intelligence test and goes to the school for gifted children, and the one where he starts a war with Nelson (and probably the one where he steals the head of the Jebediah Springfield statue, but that’s one of those episodes that wasn’t all that great, but did make good points about not giving into peer pressure and the meaning of citizenship and town pride.

Incidentally, what do you consider “classical Simpsons”. For me, it’s seasons 3-8 (though some of season two’s episodes aren’t that bad, like “Bart Gets an F,” “Three Men and a Comic Book,” “One Fish, Two Fish, Blowfish, Blue Fish,” “Bart the Daredevil,” “Two Cars in Every Garage and Three Eyes on Every Fish,” and “Blood Feud”, I still consider the quality kind of shaky and rough).

• 6 Anonymous
        29 April 2015 at 8:08 pm

Fucking hell, who is this same-ass commenter who keeps choosing some random 2-name combination, of which at least one name comes from the show?! Jesus.

29 April 2015 at 8:26 pm

By “Classical Simpsons” I meant anything that isn’t grouped under collective “ZS” appellation on this website. More precisely, that would be Seasons 1 through 11. And while I know that many viewers and fans consider “Season 1” to be on par with Seasons 8 or 9 (or even sometimes 10 and 11), I just meant that it was normal Season 1 differed from others for aforementioned reasons.

3. 30 April 2015 at 4:26 pm

The Simpsons will last until Season 30 or 32 possibly. Maybe 29.

Bleeding Gums Murphy on Quote of the Day