May

Krusty Gets Kancelled20

“Krusty, are you making any money?” – Bart Simpson
“Nah.  That guy’s giving it away for free.” – Krusty the Klown
“Old gray mare she ain’t what she used to be, ain’t what she used to be, ain’t what she used to be!” – Crazy Old Man Singer

1. 5 acreatureididnotknow
    13 May 2015 at 9:31 am

I remember being pretty surprised by Krusty’s sign when I saw this for the first time, against about 12. Especially as pants mean something different here in the UK.

13 May 2015 at 10:47 am

Lemme guess: to refer to “pantaloons”, you say “trousers” in the UK?

• 7 acreatureididnotknow
        13 May 2015 at 11:57 am

I personally prefer pantaloons, because it sounds intrinsically clown-like. As all trousers should.

13 May 2015 at 8:40 pm

That’s the irony. In Canada, you would hear “trousers” from almost any doctor, although in regular speech we use “pants”.

• 9 Anonymous
        13 May 2015 at 4:40 pm

In the UK, pants are what we call underwear, and yes, they do refer to the outerwear version of pants as trousers.

• 10 Hippin' And Their Hoppin'
          14 May 2015 at 8:23 am

If you hover over everyone’s picture box, they all say “gravatarmysteryman”.
          Hm..

2. 11 VIctor Dang
    13 May 2015 at 10:30 am

Shoulda made this a GIF, Charlie… though I guess that would’ve been a too-obvious choice, so I guess I’ll just indulge in Bart’s unamused stare at the Old Jewish Guy.

3. 14 Sarah J
    14 May 2015 at 3:54 am

Did you guys hear about Harry Shearer? He’s leaving.

• 15 Padday
      14 May 2015 at 4:51 am

I know! This was the first place I had to come when I heard. Trust Shearer to be the one to finally take a principled stand against this nonsense.

• 16 Anonymous
        14 May 2015 at 6:47 am

“Principled”
        Very good, very good

• 18 Anonymous
        14 May 2015 at 8:12 am

He didn’t leave because of that, it was a money thing. Oh well.

• 14 May 2015 at 8:42 am

“Contract dispute” is not the same as a dispute over money. As he said, he wanted the freedom to do other work. I can imagine that he was just finding the idea of continuing to dedicate time and effort to a creatively bereft product was severely limiting his ability to work on more fulfilling projects. Shearer would be one of the last people I would expect to be purely for the money on that cast.

• 20 ajsmith
            14 May 2015 at 8:48 am

I agree. The guy’s 71 and has disliked the writing on the Simpsons for nearly 20 years. His decision is probably based on doing the sums projecting into his near future and realising his time left to work on stuff he cares about is finite and the Simpsons is turning out to be seemingly infinite, and that if he doesn’t quit at some point, too much of his remaining time on earth well have been consumed with doing stale creatively empty hack work for a show years past it’s prime. If he’s invested some of his 25 years of Simpsons pay wisely and put his affairs in order, any payment they can offer him won’t be enough incentive to stay at his advanced age. Marcia Wallace(who was only a year older than Shearer)’s death last year must have given him pause for thought too.

• 14 May 2015 at 8:56 am

Actually, just rereading that quote, “I wanted what we’ve always had: the freedom to do other work.” makes it seem like there was something a little more sinister going on. Fox executives trying to tighten their grip even further on the Simpsons cash cow by locking in cast members to exclusive contracts, forbidding them from diluting the brand by selling their talents elsewhere? All just speculation on my part, but it does sound rather more complicated than I initially thought.

• 14 May 2015 at 10:13 am

A lot of people have been interpreting that tweet as to mean that Shearer needed and wanted more time to work on other projects, but I can’t help but to feel that this tweet is actually referring to a conflict-in-interest. That is, I wonder if there was something Shearer wanted to say or do that either went against the fine print in the contract, or that something political particularly passed off someone at Fox.

• 23 torbiecat
                  14 May 2015 at 10:17 am

I’m meant “pissed,” and not “passed.” The auto-correct on my tablet tries to mask just about any form of profanity. :P

• 24 acreatureididnotknow
      14 May 2015 at 8:11 am

That must be it for the show now. Please.

• 25 torbiecat
        14 May 2015 at 10:19 am

I would hope, but Al Jean has tweeted that they’ll recast. Still, I’m hoping that this will be a catalyst towards the show’s end.

• 26 Bleeding Gums Murphy
          14 May 2015 at 10:30 am

Mickey Mouse is still alive long after Walt Disney’s death.
          George Lucas no longer owns Star Wars, yet we eill have six new movies.
          It’s even discussed in full detail in this site’s minibook.

Harry Shearer leaving the show will change nothing. Only a cancellation will.

• 27 Dick Steele
            14 May 2015 at 10:35 am

Hm I don’t know I feel like the show still may go on even after cancellation…

• 29 torbiecat
            14 May 2015 at 10:43 am

I get that and agree with you about that, too. What I mean is that I’m hoping that enough fans will be cheesed off so that they no longer watch the show, thus hurting the show’s ratings even more and leading to its cancellation. But, I imagine that that thought is naive hope of mine,

• 32 acreatureididnotknow
            15 May 2015 at 4:42 am

The mini-book says that the death of a main cast member would be the only thing that would end the show; someone permanently leaving is (from the show’s point of view) effectively the same thing.

I don’t know if Jean saying they’ll recast is genuine of a bluff to make him think he’s not the show. But he’s Skinner, Burns, Smithers, Flanders… Them and all the others with a new voice? Surely even Fox have their limits.

• 33 torbiecat
              15 May 2015 at 8:48 am

I really don’t know, but I gotten the impression that there’s been a rift between Shearer and Jean for quite some time. Supposedly, Shearer criticizing some aspects of “Homer at the Bat” stemmed a lot of this. Then, Shearer publicly criticizing the writing of the show around 2004 set off Jean once again, and things seem to have been rocky since then. Perhaps Jean does have some justification in how he feels, but how he responds strikes me as being passive-aggressive (especially how he reacted in 2004), but then, I’m biased and looking at things from an outsider’s view, so I could be wrong in my interpretations.

• 34 acreatureididnotknow
                15 May 2015 at 3:43 pm

Tch, TV politics, eh? A contract dispute which seems to have its roots in an 11-year-old argument about a 23-year-old episode.

• 35 Anonymous Jerk
        14 May 2015 at 11:47 am

Hah, no. You’re forgetting that the writers and show-runners can’t even remember what integrity feels like anymore.

Shearer will be replaced. By a computer if they have to.

14 May 2015 at 1:16 pm

Shearer can’t leave. FOX owns his soul.
    (and everyone knows foxes are stupid animals)

Ryan on Quote of the Day