May

Sunday Preview: Mathlete’s Feat

Mathlete's_Feat_promo_2

When a modernized Springfield Elementary has a technical meltdown, Lisa transforms it into a Waldorf school. Meanwhile, Groundskeeper Willie becomes the coach of the mathletes

Season Finale! For this year’s death rattle, Lisa has apparently been given the ability to force families to send their formally publicly educated children to a school that won’t grade anyone.  All this makes me think about is that Otto almost had tenure at Brown.  Also Willie is now a modern day Archimedes, so you know, whatever.  Frankly the only interesting thing that is related to this episode is that i don’t have to watch any previews for a few months.  Have a great summer.

55 Responses to “Sunday Preview: Mathlete’s Feat”

1. 1 Victor Dang
    17 May 2015 at 4:58 pm

Just curious, but has anyone else noticed how even the preview images have “dropped” in quality lately?

I don’t know when this started to happen, but all preview images from Season 11 on used to have this crazy, processed shading applied to them, like so (obviously without the bloodening):

Compare that to the image above, which practically has no shading at all and seems like it was taken directly from a still of the episode itself. So what happened?

18 May 2015 at 10:47 am

Jean got lazy. The fucker.

• 3 Matthew
        18 May 2015 at 10:56 am

Shading of 2D characters makes them look cheap, cheesy tacky. I absolutely HATED it when Disney started doing that on all their video boxes and merchandise, and it looks awful when anyone does it.

18 May 2015 at 11:28 am

Not when it was done on Pinky & The Brain. But then again, that show was somewhat “noir”.

2. 17 May 2015 at 5:19 pm

Hey, at least we’ll get a nice couch gag.

• 17 May 2015 at 8:03 pm

Most I’ve laughed at something in a new Simpsons episode in a long time.

• 7 Matthew
      18 May 2015 at 10:57 am

The Couch Gags are the only thing keeping this show alive, and they have to bring in outside assistance to make them memorable at all?

• 8 Bleeding Gums Murphy
      21 May 2015 at 8:32 am

Well, I decided to watch this episode’s couch gag on Youtube, since it seems you liked it.

Okay.

I know we have joked about the couch gags of later seasons being so long they have their own stories, and in some ways the longest ones could be considered mini-episodes. But I doubt they would go as far as making an actual miniepisode inside the couch gag, and this episode’s couch gag was.

And worst of all, it wasn’t funny. At all.

No, I stand corrected, the worst thing is Bart’s line (“no more guest animators”), which could have worked in a real Simpsons episode when everything worked fine and they were just poking fun of the show. Here, it’s just pathetic.

21 May 2015 at 10:33 am

Couch gags aren’t supposed to be funny. They’re supposed to be zombie. Zombie is the new funny.

17 May 2015 at 5:55 pm

What other channel than FOX does this simultaneously air on? I’m going to watch it to find out if commercial breaks are more interesting.

4. 16 FireFlower
    17 May 2015 at 8:07 pm

Season over! Yeah!

Math has always been one of my least favorite things so I am glad I won’t be watching this one.

5. 17 May 2015 at 8:08 pm

May Math Groening and his hellspawn all die out in the next 5 years aka The Simpsons.

They belong to history except ZS of course.

17 May 2015 at 8:17 pm

Is it wrong that I really liked the last few episodes, the one where they were abducted by aliens and this one? I think the Futurama writers are improving things: The jokes are good, the characters show emotion, the characterization is getting better, and

• 17 May 2015 at 8:31 pm

Favorite Futurama episode: Reincarnation ^_^

• 29 lakawak
      18 May 2015 at 8:03 am

NONE of the last several episodes…including this one…were written by former Futurama writers. Thank god. There is a reason why that show was cancelled…twice..the second time when it couldn’t even draw good ratings for basic cable!

• 30 Joe H
        18 May 2015 at 6:49 pm

Yeah because ratings have always determined whether a show was good or not.

By that standard, Family Guy must be the one of the greatest show ever to grace television.

7. 31 Monty Python forever
    17 May 2015 at 8:28 pm

Is it wrong that I really like this episode, the last few episodes and The Man Who Came to be Dinner? I think the Futurama writers are improving things, as I laughed a lot more in the last couple of months than the last few years of this show.

• 32 Disenchanted Viewer
      17 May 2015 at 9:23 pm

There’s nothing wrong, each to his own. It’s just not the kind of show I like, sure it’s not what I watched “The Simpsons” for. If it was a different show with possibly a different name (and, why not, different characters) I wouldn’t have any problem with it. Anyway, I didn’t watch this episode.

8. 33 mmmfreegoo
    18 May 2015 at 2:37 am

I have a feeling that they are trying to reach season 30 as a milestone and then will call it quits, but then, who knows how many wacky adventures the Simpsons family will have before the show becomes unprofitable.

9. 18 May 2015 at 6:05 am

The number one strategy in this pitch count is to
    get another strike on the batter. ‘ Surprisingly, there are many
    famous folks who studied accounting and even passed the prestigious CPA exam.
    He is a successful Manager and Life Coach Professional, creating
    solutions for restaurants and bars around the world, using innovative consultancy skills to
    quickly assess new opportunities in-house and externally – to capture market potential in the
    hospitality sector.

10. 38 lakawak
    18 May 2015 at 7:59 am

IT is weird..how does one get to be smug and be a blogger? To be smug, don’;t you have to at least THINK you are superior to someone else? And the moment you decide to be a blogger, you have already given up ever trying to feel superior to anyone else.

• 39 Anonymous
      18 May 2015 at 8:56 am

IT is weird,,how does one get to such a sad point in their life when they post vague, stupid, unrelated comments on someone’s blog, trying to feel superior to everyone on the site (and ultimately fails)?

18 May 2015 at 10:52 am

I ended up only watching the second half of the FG episode, where they were all on an island with rebelling natives for some reason. Then I watched the B’sB ep and for instance didn’t hate it (the chick who talks like a guy is funny). And then I was too wasted to remember the rest, I think they aired Entourage or something?
    Anyway, you US folks are funny. “Come visit Honda Lebanon” ahaha wtf? Your country probably has like 10 different Lebanons, you have civilization everywhere, sometimes it’s even hard to tell where a city stops. Then there was this announcement about the government spying on everyone’s cellphone… Just don’t own one!
    Anyway it’s Victoria Day here, a nice Monday holiday and I gotta buy booze because the stores close as 5.

• 41 Matthew
      18 May 2015 at 11:00 am

BOB’S BURGERS is the only Fox cartoon that looks like it’s even trying. Note that it has neither Matt Groening nor Seth MacFarlane involved in it.

18 May 2015 at 11:29 am

I know, and that’s what’s amazing. It’s actually not bad material. Which means not everything is lost in the 21 century.

• 43 Angelm Young
        18 May 2015 at 6:43 pm

Yeah, it’s the same guy who did Home Movies (Loren Bouchard). I think he also did Metalocalypse, which is pretty much a jacked-up take on This Is Spinal Tap.

• 44 Joe H
        18 May 2015 at 6:52 pm

I personally think Bob’s Burgers has been backsliding this season, though there were still some strong entries.

• 45 Angelm Young
          18 May 2015 at 9:40 pm

If it is backsliding, then at least it’s not in the same way as The Simpsons. Like someone else said before, Bob’s Burgers at least makes an effort to be good and have good storytelling. I wouldn’t be surprised if FOX axed this show next.

12. 46 e
    18 May 2015 at 12:39 pm

[Competing students from Waverly Hills are cheering, while Springfield Elementary students look crestfallen. Behind them is a giant scoreboard reading:

SCORE
    WAVERLY HILLS 30
    SPRINGFIELD 00 ]

Superintendent Chalmers: “Well, Lisa, we didn’t score a single point.”

~storytelling!~

18 May 2015 at 3:59 pm

I wish I could remember what producer, actor or writer mentioned/complained about having less episode running time these days compared to earlier seasons. Yet look at this: over 2 minutes for a couch gag, 2 musical montages and that bizarre jug band segment at the end. That’s not even counting pointless scenes like Lisa getting drunk off Mountain Dew and asking Willy about Scotland.

• 48 Joe H
      18 May 2015 at 6:59 pm

That was about a decade ago, but yes…these episodes absolutely struggle to maintain full episode length and are loaded with filler that exists solely to eat time. I’m not talking about one or two episodes either, it’s every single one of them.

• 49 Sarah J
      19 May 2015 at 4:16 am

Dont’ forget all the montages. ZS has so many montages and it’s not like they’re funny or anything. They’re just, regular montages like you’d see in any sports movie. The writers either aren’t being given any time to write anything good or they just don’t know what to write so they put in a bunch of filler. There are some shows that can get away with lots of filler but The Simpsons isn’t one of them. (it doesn’t really help that most ZS filler is crap anyway)

• 50 Anonymous
      19 May 2015 at 9:57 pm

I think Al Jean boasted about that.

19 May 2015 at 9:56 pm

For anyone who cares, this episode got 2.82 million viewers with a 1.3 share. So, it’s slightly up from last week, but it’s nothing to write home about. I just want to know where that puts it in the least watched episode list and do those numbers make season 26 the least-watched season ever?

15. 19 May 2015 at 11:33 pm

Apart from the sign at the beginning, the one where Homer was actually laughing at the dog, did anyone notice the maths jokes?

• 53 Anonymous
      20 May 2015 at 5:41 am

Poorly-written nonsense which is then explained for the benefit of children under five and the mentally retarded (read: the only people who regularly watch The Simpsons anymore…oh, and you guys too, but most snarky bloggers aren’t considered people) are not considered jokes. I thought you knew that.

16. 54 BigBastardP.
    21 May 2015 at 5:57 pm

So, where’s the episode review, or does this episode even deserve one?

22 May 2015 at 5:19 am

I can give an impression of what it would be: Words words words This episode sucked like a vacuum hooked at a bachelor party Words words words words Here’s a list of everything that happened, even though it’s called Behind Us Forever and therefore we should forget it, but it doesn’t matter since I and my readers don’t have the common sense to do more constructive things on a Sunday night Words words words words The ratings for this show continue to fall and every week feels like I should just end it by giving the most sensual blow job to a .357 Magnum until the wall behind me becomes a Jackson Pollack painting, but I’m not what you call a good person Words words words words words words The end.

AMAZON RECIEPTS on Quote of the Day