Jul

Scenes from the Class Struggle in Springfield11

“Come on, Mom, you never treat yourself to anything.” – Lisa Simpson
“Oh, sure I do, I treated myself to a Sanka not three days ago.” – Marge Simpson

9 July 2015 at 3:27 pm

I love how Marge ends up destroying her dress at the end, only to make it into something sexy.

2. 4 Victor Dang
    9 July 2015 at 5:21 pm

I do love Marge’s line “maybe if it was a suit we could all wear” from this scene. It’s very much so like her.

I actually rewatched this last week and I think this is one of those underrated episodes from the show’s latter tenure (albeit still on its quality plateau). I’ve actually only watched this two times, and that includes last week’s viewing (online). For some reason I never got to pick up on this episode in my childhood syndication viewings (though I got to see “Bart the Fink” and “Day the Violence Died” plenty of times somehow).

I also love how they reintroduce Ogdenville from the monorail episode but also don’t have it stray too far from its “roots”. It’s still clearly a small town many miles away from the nearest metropolis, but somewhat sizable enough to have an outlet mall.

And Homer’s praise of Panaphonics/Magnetbox/Sorny is a quote for the ages.

• 5 The Anti-Stan
      10 July 2015 at 4:03 pm

Yeah, this is one of those episodes where, at first glance, it’s not all that funny, because, let’s face it, the Marge episodes haven’t been good since “Marge on the Lam,” but, rewatching it, you do realize it’s not that bad. I always liked the beginning where Grampa breaks the TV and the family ditches him at the home while driving off to get a new one.

10 July 2015 at 4:56 pm

Marge is a character you can’t juggle a lot with, especially with her sticktoitiveness of household chores and family-related principles.

• 7 Sarah J
      11 July 2015 at 7:41 pm

The stuff with the country club is pretty funny too. I agree that it’s an underrated episode.

• 12 July 2015 at 3:11 am

I’ve never seen such positive reaction to this episode (here and in the comments below) so let me join in and say, yes, this is definitely one of the most underrated. I’m sure I disliked it when it first aired (because I was young, and “TV buys a dress” isn’t a plot that would have held my attention), but this is actually one solid episode, and one of the true joys to rediscover.

10 July 2015 at 4:57 pm

Guys, who’s that weirdo with Stan Smith on the pic? I’m in Moscow now, gone for half a month and first time I see him…

10 July 2015 at 9:40 pm

WTF troll, have you lost your shame?! I didn’t even go to Russia this year.
      Давай, нахуй пиздуй уже.