Jul

He Was Moe Green, Damn It!

Itchy and Scratchy and Marge20

“That screwball Marge Simpson, we’ve gotta stop her!  But how?” – Roger Meyers Jr.
“Drop and anvil on her?” – Cartoon Writer #1
“Hit her on the hear with a piano?” – Cartoon Exec #1
“Stuff her full of TNT then throw a match down her throat and run?” – Cartoon Exec #2
“All your fancy degrees and that’s the best you can do?  You make me sick!” – Roger Meyers Jr.

Alex Rocco, the voice of Roger Meyers Jr. and the iconic “bullet through the eyeglasses guy” in The Godfather, died yesterday.  Our friends over at Flim Springfield have an excellent write-up of his career:

RIP Alex Rocco, 1936-2015. Voice of Roger Meyers Jr.

If you’re feeling it, his three turns were in Season 2’s “Itchy and Scratchy and Marge”, Season 7’s “The Day the Violence Died”, and Season 8’s “Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie”.  So long, Alex, nobody ever had a voice quite like yours.

16 Responses to “He Was Moe Green, Damn It!”

1. 1 Some Guy named Smithers
    19 July 2015 at 11:52 am

Aww, that’s sad. I loved voicing of the Roger Meyers, Jr. character. The voice totally matched up with the character’s face, personality, and mannerisms.

R.I.P. Mr. Rocco.

2. 2 Rembrandt
    19 July 2015 at 12:17 pm

Wow, wasn’t aware. RIP.

3. 3 starringspringfield
    19 July 2015 at 12:30 pm

I liked in one of the commentaries how he said he never felt really famous until some kid heard him talking while he was shopping at the farmer’s market or whatever, and said “That’s Roger Myers Jr.!”

4. 4 Joe
    19 July 2015 at 4:45 pm

Did he not also voice Myers Jr. in the season 4 episode “The Front”? Also, surprising that Roger Myers jr. has made such few appearances in the show.

19 July 2015 at 5:48 pm

I always thought Myers was voiced by Shearer.

6. 11 Joshua
    20 July 2015 at 8:14 am

Are those really the only three episodes Roger Meyers Jr. was in? That’s really surprising because his character stands out so clearly in my memory.

It just goes to show how the right actor can fully create a character even with relatively few appearances.

7. 15 Noah P
    20 July 2015 at 4:40 pm

Aw, that’s a shame. Rest in peace, Alex Rocco.

8. 16 Victor Dang
    29 July 2015 at 5:20 pm

I didn’t get to send my condolences the first time when this post went up, so I’ll do so now. Rest in peace, Rocco, your appearances in those 3 episodes really added to those and made them what they were. My only regret is that I wish you had appeared in more (seriously, I thought he did more than those 3, but oh well).

I also notice this wasn’t pointed out, so I’ll just say many kudos to Oakley and Weinstein for bringing back Alex Rocco to voice Roger Meyers, Jr. in their two “Itchy & Scratchy”-themed episodes. To me, Rocco IS Meyers Jr., and the voice wasn’t really something that could be easily imitated. Case in point: the end of “Itchy & Scratchy Land” where Roger Meyers appears to give the Simpsons their TWO free tickets, when rewatching it again I knew there was something off about Meyers’ voice (and as I later found out, it was because Azaria was voicing him).

Noah B on Quote of the Day