Jul

Reading Digest: Bands! Edition

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad Marge4

“You got Poison to play at our wedding?” – Becky
“We’re Cyanide, a loving tribute to Poison.” – Cyanide Singer
“We need a ride home!” – Cyanide Drummer

This week we might have a link of the month instead of a link of the week.  From Australia comes a list of bands with names from the show from all over the globe.  I’ve linked maybe three or four of them on here, and I had no idea just how many there really were.  It needs to be seen to be believed, and it’s hard to conceive of another show offering up this many possibilities.  Just astounding.  In addition to that, we’ve got more bootleg Bart stuff, some speculation on the demise of the DVDs, several pieces of fan art, love for Lisa, new merchandise, and more.

Enjoy.

This Is What A Festival Filled With Bands Named After ‘The Simpsons’ Would Look & Sound Like – Smooth Charlie’s Link of the Week is this list of real bands with Simpsons names.  They band play good.

The 13 Best Bootleg Barts – An excellent selection of new bootleg Bart images from that show in LA last week.

Bart Vs Video Game Trivia: How Well Do You Know Simpsons Games? – There’s even a quiz.

The Simpsons DVD news: Are the sales really that bad? No, they aren’t – The show was selling relatively well, but wasn’t doing gangbusters anymore if this is true:

Yes, those numbers are approximately half of the sales of season 16, but the numbers are still excellent given the market today. I think there’s more to this story than “sales numbers are poor.” Maybe their sales expectations are too high and they would rather make no money off DVD sales than less money.

What the article doesn’t mention is that FOX might not want to keep doing DVDs if they’re also selling the show through streaming and FXX.  I don’t know the full thinking (and this is FOX we’re talking about, thinking might not have been involved at all), but I don’t think it’s entirely coincidental that they canned the DVDs after they finally got their streaming product off the ground.  Thanks to @mstcambot on Twitter.

Eye On Springfield with Shayne Mathis – Fantastic:

My first exposure to vegetarianism was from the episode Lisa The Vegetarian. Has the show ever exposed you to an idea that impacted your life? (Lisa become veg, Barney quitting drinking, etc.)
I wish I had a good story for this question but the extent of The Simpsons’ effect on my life was that I prank called my local grocery store a few times and got them to page Amanda Hugnkiss, I.P. Freely, etc over the PA system.

Eye On Springfield with Chuck BB – My local station had Saturday episodes, except when they had baseball.  Stupid baseball:

The show was in its prime when I was in middle school, I think just entering into syndication – So I would catch The Simpsons airing every night at that point, memorizing jokes and lines and talking to the other kids about the replayed episode the next day. Every God Damn Day…except Saturday. Stupid Saturday.

The Last Word … Homer’s odyssey – I don’t know enough about British politics to fully understand this, but comparing Labour’s leadership election to “Lisa the Vegetarian” is pretty brilliant all by itself.  Thanks to reader David S. for sending this in!

‘The Simpsons’ predicted President Trump way back in 2000 – It’s always fun to watch things percolate up from the bottom of the internet to the top.  As soon as Trump declared, Simpsons geeks mentioned it, then it faded, then someone puts it on Reddit and it rises again, then it fades one more time, and then it makes it to the Washington Post.

The Singing Dorkette – I’m not saying I would trade in my family or anything, but that’s pretty awesome:

If there is one cartoon character that I have related to throughout my childhood, adolescence and feeble attempt at the starting blocks of adulthood, it is Lisa Simpson. Lisa relied heavily on self validation via grades and school success, had her social anxieties, often seemed to feel everything acutely with her sensitive soul, and had strong principles that meant she was faced with many ethical dilemmas. I feel that our outlooks on life are similar.

Plus, when I told my family that I was to stop eating meat, they, too, started a conga line around the kitchen and chanted in sing-song voices, “you don’t win friends with salad”.

Best of luck with the new blog!

Cowabunga – Some Bartkira panels.

Sketch-a-day 7.28 – An agreeably distressed looking Homer drawing.

Superhero – Fallout Milhouse to the rescue!

9 Songs You Didn’t Know Carole King Wrote – Apparently including Lisa’s Jazzman.

Beaming For Bunnies: Stuff I got in the mail – Our old friend Galileo both sends and receives Simpsons swag.

Dear Life, | letters from milhouse – Yep:

I am milhouse.
Perpetually waiting for my Lisa.

My mom thinks I’m cool.

clearly marge had an affair – Heh.

TV Pick of the Day – Tuesday 28 July – Heh:

What is it: The Simpsons ‘King-Size Homer

Watch it for: The muumuu, the ass pay-off at the end.

10 Most Emotionally Packed Comedy Episodes – “Mother Simpson” makes the list along with, naturally, the dead dog episode of Futurama.

Character Options launches new The Simpsons toy collection – A breathing person actually said this:

With such a huge global reach we are confident that this will be a highly successful new offering within the Character portfolio.

More “collectibles”, on the way.

I Never Caught That: The Simpsons Eddie and Lou in background out of uniform – Nice catch.  Though, Wiggum did let all the criminals out for that game.

Hazel Likes: Sprinkle D’oh-Nuts Dress – More high fashion Simpsons clothing, this time a pretty pink dress.

1998 20th Century Homer Simpson Alarm Clock – Here’s a blast from the Krusty Brand Seal of Approval past, an alarm clock where Homer’s eyes aren’t even pointed in the same direction.

GIANT Homer Simpson Santa Claus 8′ Airblown Inflatable Gemmy Light Up – It’s less than five months until Christmas.  Start now.

Body Shapes, a Handy Guide – Heh.  Speaking personally, I’ve always been attracted to Bart women.

10 Responses to “Reading Digest: Bands! Edition”

1. 31 July 2015 at 4:11 pm

That list of bands is pretty awesome, especially since I’m in the process of trying to gather a list is songs with Simpsons quotes or samples in them for Xtapolapometal.
    Also, they forgot Dr. Colossians who specifically write songs about The Simpson’s!

2. 2 acreatureididnotknow
    31 July 2015 at 6:56 pm

I had that clock!

“But I got up yesterday!”

It scared the hell out of my mum when I left it on and stayed over somewhere. She thought someone had got in the house.

3. 3 Staniel
    31 July 2015 at 11:19 pm

There’s no better band in the world than Arctic Monkeys. If you ever lived in England and know how minimalistically shitty life is there – you’ll get my drift.
    I’ve flown with British Airlines several times and those stewardesses with big boobs are the very metaphor of English life. When you talk to them – you’ll get my drift.

• 4 acreatureididnotknow
      1 August 2015 at 3:12 pm

Hmm, this Brit finds that a slightly alarming conclusion to draw of my country. Nothing about colonial wars or institutionalised slaugher of foxes for rich people’s amusement, for example. Tch! Can tell you’re not a local.

Arctic Monkeys are a brilliant band, though.

• 5 Staniel
        3 August 2015 at 12:05 am

I’m sorry, that didn’t ring in after half a bottle of rum. I’m sorry again, I’m Canadian.

4. 1 August 2015 at 4:25 pm

Barney giving up drinking was actually really touching for an 11th Season episode. I was really disappointed when he relapsed later on ZS to maintain status quo.
    Don’t cry for me because I’m already dead.

• 7 Staniel
      3 August 2015 at 12:09 am

I think it was stupid change to start with, something akin to Skinner not being Skinner and the like. When a show goes that far you know it’s hitting rock bottom very soon. Sober Barney would’ve been good for a couple of quitting alcoholic jokes, and that’s it. Take Joe’s wife Bonnie from Family Guy, for example. First they went with preggo jokes, then they went with after-preggo jokes. Lotsa material to work with, y’know.

• 8 Angel Young
        7 August 2015 at 11:00 am

Actually, with Bonnie, they went from preggo jokes to jokes about how she wants to kill her husband.

And I must be more of a music geek than a Simpsons one, because even I knew that Carole King penned Jazzman for that Simpsons episode where Bleeding Gums Murphy dies and Bart sues Krusty for that cereal with the jagged metal O in it that somehow gave him appendicitis (it would have caused internal bleeding in real life and even Al Jean — who worked on the episode and had a medical consultant on for accuracy’s sake — knew that. I expect this kind of garbage to fly on a post-1999 episode of The Simpsons, but this was season six, when it was still at its peak, but with most of the original writers gone, the show was starting to become more like a traditional sitcom instead of a subversive parody of one).

• 9 Ah Hee Hee Hee
          7 August 2015 at 12:15 pm

#nitpicking

• 10 Name
          7 August 2015 at 4:46 pm

Meh… Internal bleeding is too serious to joke about (unless you’re Seth). Appendicitis happens to a lots of kids, so while this isn’t medically true, it’s still plausible enough not to irritate many of us.

Steamed Hams on Quote of the Day