Aug

Tuesday Evening Cartoons

Blood Feud18 “Bart, take a letter.  Dear Mr. Burns, I’m so glad you enjoyed my son’s blood, and your card was just great.” – Homer Simpson

Liver spots are one of those undeniable signs of aging that remind us and others that the robust younger years are far in the past.  Mr. Burns, being very far indeed from his days as a barefoot boy with cheek of tan, has quite a lot of them, something The Simpsons liked to have fun with, most famously when Marge catches Burns coming out of the shower in “Brush with Greatness”. There’s another liver spot joke in Season 2, however, that’s so subtle that I doubt I noticed it for years after I first saw it.  In “Blood Feud”, Homer angrily dictates a letter to Burns after receiving only a lousy card in exchange for saving the old man’s life:

You are a senile, buck-toothed old mummy, with bony girls arms, and you smell like an elephant’s butt!

Later, after Burns reads the letter and decides to have Homer fired, he’s ranting to Smithers about the contents: Blood Feud17

Senile, eh?  Buck-toothed, am I?  Bony arms, are they?  Liver spots, did I?

Notice the addition?  Homer doesn’t mention the liver spots; Burns does.  It’s the show taking a quick, barely perceptible potshot at Burns that you really have to be paying attention to catch.  Burns doesn’t just have liver spots, despite his fearsome visage, he’s actually sensitive about them.

14 Responses to “Tuesday Evening Cartoons”

1. 1 Victor Dang
    11 August 2015 at 8:24 pm

Nice catch. It’s one of those great jokes that play double duty, in this case both as Burns’ self-image and senility at the same time.

And might I say it’s great to see a “Day of the Week” Cartoon post from you after so long.

2. 2 Name
    11 August 2015 at 9:21 pm

Eek, that’s sum mighty nitpicking there. He’s not sensitive about smelling like an elephant’s butt (despite having that elephant’s head up the wall) for some reason.

• 3 acreatureididnotknow
      12 August 2015 at 6:20 am

I don’t think you know what nitpicking is. This is pointing out a well-hidden gag which shows the deeper level The Simpsons operated on.

Here’s an example of nitpicking: he shouts and slams his hands on the desk while reading the “elephant’s butt” line in the scene immediately before this one.

• 4 Staniel
        12 August 2015 at 1:59 pm

I don’t think this is a gag, that’s all. Maybe I’m not that bright. I don’t care.
        Watching the 13th Season of Family Guy nonsense slowly destroys my brain.

• 5 acreatureididnotknow
          13 August 2015 at 10:55 am

It’s destroyed your ability to post under one name, that’s for sure.

• 6 Staniel
            13 August 2015 at 11:59 pm

It’s funnier to have troll follow me from post to post this way.

• 7 acreatureididnotknow
              14 August 2015 at 6:17 am

How do you work out I’m trolling you, rather than the other way round? By pointing out you jump from one username to another, including using mine for some reason?

3. 12 August 2015 at 8:45 am

I love that he also shouts “Chinless, will you?” when nobody in the Simpsons universe has a chin, let alone him.

12 August 2015 at 10:15 am

Bart has a cute tongue.

5. 12 August 2015 at 4:16 pm

Here’s another gag: There’s a Triceratops head on the wall, next to the elephant.

6. 14 DJ Smoove
    13 August 2015 at 8:20 am

Here’s yet another gag: Lisa Simspon’s head resembles that of a Triceratops!

Steamed Hams on Quote of the Day