Sep

E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt)4

“I have come to return King Arthur to the throne!” – Zorro
“It’s a history lesson come to life.” – Bart Simpson
“No, it isn’t.  It’s totally inaccurate.” – Lisa Simpson
“Quiet, here come the ninjas.” – Bart Simpson

1. 9 September 2015 at 9:15 am

Kind of a shame to see gags from this period where literally the only thing Lisa does is explain the joke.

• 2 Victor Dang
      9 September 2015 at 10:30 am

Yeah, it’s a foreboding premonition to her role in Zombie seasons where she plays Narrator and explains the obvious (or non-obvious depending on the crummy plot turn).

Also that weird-looking grimace on her face is a bad reminder of just how much the quality of the animation will decline in this season.

2. 4 Bleeding Gums Murphy
    9 September 2015 at 11:05 am

Wasn’t this the tomacco episode? But wasn’t the old Simpsons farm destroyed in “Grampa vs. sexual inadequacy”?

• 5 Staniel
      9 September 2015 at 12:00 pm

Err no, the tomacco ep was the one where they settle on a farm because they escaped the city, because some Texan guy wanted to duel Homer, because he slapped him with a glove, because he initially thought he was Z-… Fuck off.

• 6 Victor Dang
      9 September 2015 at 5:46 pm

Yeah, it was (to both). I love the twisted concept of tomacco, and I’m also no stickler for continuity, but not much else really works for me here. I do like Ralph’s “Grandma” line, though (and his and Chief Wiggum’s subsequent quick addiction).

Sad thing is, this is still better than a lot of the episodes from Season 11 (makes since since this was a holdover).

• 7 Charlie Sweatpants
      9 September 2015 at 5:46 pm

Yeah, it’s the Tomacco episode. And, no, it didn’t make the most sense, then or now. Still, inter-episode continuity is the least of this one’s problems. The credits to the Zorro movie are pretty funny though.

3. 8 Victor Dang
    9 September 2015 at 5:56 pm

“Consulting Producer – DAVID MIRKIN”

Hah, I can still read it even after it’s almost faded out! I guess it’s worth asking here, but has he ever been credited for writing any episode (at least for the good seasons)? If not… I think this might make him the only show-runner who never wrote for the show, but that seems doubtful to me (the “never wrote for the show” part).

BTW, since this is related, I’ll post it here. If any of you haven’t seen it yet, real-life tomacco: http://www.simpsonsarchive.com/news/tomacco.html

• 9 D.N.
      9 September 2015 at 6:04 pm

I believe the only classic-era episode David Mirkin wrote was “Deep Space Homer.”

He does have writing credits for Zombie era and the movie, though.