Mar

Bart to the Future3

“You put an ad in my vision?” – Bart Simpson
“Yeah. Crazy Talk came up with that. Got idea from Dances with Focus Groups.” – Indian Casino Manager

1. 1 Gabbo
    20 March 2016 at 2:22 pm

Two posts in a row from two episodes where those two s.o.bs. are grown up… all the people on this site are s.o.bs.

2. 5 acreatureididnotknow
    20 March 2016 at 5:16 pm

It made the news here in the UK this week that someone noticed this episode jokingly predicted a Donald Trump presidency. It’s a pretty toothless gag, as you’d expect from such a dire episode (Trump left a lot of debt), but that was enough for it to pass for news.

We have quite a few slow news days here.

20 March 2016 at 6:41 pm

You know what else predicts Trump’s presidency? Hasselhoff hung over eating a fucking cheeseburger all while being interrogated by his daughter, shirtless. YouTube, what the fuck were you giving birth to back in 2007?

• 20 March 2016 at 10:03 pm

Also, Milhouse says “Remember when the last administration decided to invest in our nation’s children? Big mistake.” It’s pretty obvious that if Trump ever got into the White House, he wouldn’t give two shits about anyone’s children. (Let alone anyone else.)

• 8 Brad M
        21 March 2016 at 6:44 pm

I don’t think it’s ever implied that Trump was the president immediately preceding Lisa, though.

• 9 acreatureididnotknow
          22 March 2016 at 8:42 pm

I think his only named mention is Lisa saying, ” We inherited quite the deficit from President Trump”, or very similar.

• 10 Noah P
      21 March 2016 at 8:36 pm

The thing I’ve noticed is that news websites report this story, like, every few weeks. The first time it made the rounds online it was sort of a cool, “oh, yeah, they did do that!” type of thing but I think everyone’s seen it by now.

3. 21 March 2016 at 3:56 pm

I was gonna say the whole thing about how this episode may have sucked, but it is relevant somewhat because of the Donald Trump presidency thing (and Lisa becoming the first female president, for those who want Hilary Clinton in the White House. The joke about Chastity Bono being president is kinda odd now, considering that she got a sex change and became Chaz, but that’s neither here nor there), but you guys beat me to it.

And I know this is gonna get my butt kicked here, but I did laugh at this episode more than Lisa’s Wedding (which came on the same day, which happened to be my birthday). Maybe because I don’t like Lisa-based episodes unless it’s Lisa and Bart or Lisa and Homer (that’s why the only thing I liked about Moanin’ Lisa is Homer trying to beat Bart in a boxing video game) or maybe because Lisa’s Wedding was intentionally trying not to be funny and it just didn’t jibe with me. At least with “Bart to the Future” it had Bart trying to sing a “Margaritaville” knock-off, Ralph actually being smart enough to know he’s living a crappy life with Bart, the park ranger getting his hand stripped off by the bugs, Homer’s line to Bart “You should have thought of that before you dropped out of the DeVry Institute”, Krusty on Bart’s Coolness Committee (looking like Groucho Marx in his later years, which coincidentally was how he looked on Lisa’s Wedding), and Krusty’s joke (“What’s the difference between Pakistan and a pancake? I don’t know any pancakes that were nuked by India! What, too soon?”)

• 12 acreatureididnotknow
      22 March 2016 at 8:40 pm

I’m fascinated how anyone could think Lisa’s Wedding is “intentionally unfunny”, but hey, it takes all sorts.