Nov

doh-in-in-the-wind7

“Homer Simpson does not lie twice on the same form. He never has and he never will!” – Homer Simpson
“You lied dozens of times on our mortgage application.” – Marge Simpson
“Yeah, but they were all part of a single ball of lies.” – Homer Simpson

1. 1 Jim
    24 November 2016 at 2:50 am

I may be alone here but I like this episode. It’s one of the more humorous ones in season, and it has a great soundtrack. Homer is a bit of a jerk but not anywhere near as bad as some other eps this season.

• 2 Bleeding Gums Murphy
      24 November 2016 at 1:45 pm

Causing the destruction of the fabric and forcing the hippies to join him in his pointless rebel cause isn’t jerky enough?

Because Homer is a fucking asshole in this episode.

• 3 acreatureididnotknow
        24 November 2016 at 6:53 pm

I quite like it. “This man does not represent us” lifts the episode a bit. Nicely quotable.

Also destroying the factory was accidental, and he tried to make good the damage. Certainly not Homer at his worst.

• 4 Bleeding Gums Murphy
          25 November 2016 at 5:39 pm

He’s not “Kill the Alligator and Run” Homer, but he’s too awful and Jerkass here to my taste.

Also, even the premise behind this episode is weak, very weak.

• 5 Charlie Sweatpants
            25 November 2016 at 9:15 pm

I’m with Jim and Creature on this one, I like this episode. It’s not great or anything, but in terms of overall quality it’s a lot more Season 9 than Season 10. There’s more Jerkass Homer than there should be, but he’s a lot calmer than in “Kidney Trouble”, “Sunday, Cruddy Sunday”, or “Viva Ned Flanders”, all of which I basically never watch. It’s also a lot more quotable than most of Season 10 (“Drain Simpson while he’s passed out”, “the human wang is a beautiful thing”, “those were our *private* vegetables”, “does this mean you’re going to start showering again?”/”perhaps. in time.”).

• 6 dickcheese
              25 November 2016 at 11:11 pm

Maybe it was a leftover ep from Season 9 that made it to the next season? Personally I liked it for the reference it makes to Mona. That’s about it.

• 8 Victor D
              26 November 2016 at 10:46 pm

Yeah, I don’t mind it either. I think the other one from this season I also like is “Wild Barts Can’t Be Broken” (though stupid episode name, a really noticeable symptom of these sunset seasons). That one is also not spectacular, but when watching it, I’m just amazed at the consistency this one has with making mid-funny jokes when all the other ones in Season 10 come off as severely uneven (or, with the episodes you listed, have nothing at all). What’s strange is that episode doesn’t really have main guys of note who either wrote or directed it. I guess for that one, something just really came together, or maybe some good hallucinogens got in the water that week. Too bad it couldn’t be this way for the rest of Season 10.

• 9 Bleeding Gums Murphy
              27 November 2016 at 1:08 pm

I supose everyone has different limits and sensibilities.

For example, I know the DHS clan hates the second half of “Simpson Tide”, and yet while I admit it’s much worse that the beginning of the episode and I also admit some of the problems you mentioned in the Crazy Notes for this episode (Apu and Moe joining Homer for no reason, filler scenes, Homer causing an international incident and not being punished, the episode being too lazy about Homer going back to his good old job at SNPP)… I don’t hate it. I thought the “tension” caused by the pin hole leak was mostly played for comedy rather than fake tension (so I don’t agree that the second half of the episode wouldn’t have been out of place in S12+), and the entire episode has a tone that kinda resembles “Deep Space Homer” in my mind. I also think that, while the premise is nowhere as interesting as SLH dying, Marge cheating on Homer, or Bart becoming a celebrity, it was interesting as it gave the writers plenty of Navy-related jokes to use. So, I gave it a pass.

Same thing happens with “Homer to the Max”. It’s a much worse episode, it suffers from poor pacing, it has a rushed ending, yet I don’t dislike it because, while it’s a much weaker repeat of “Simpson and Delilah”, “Homer Defined” or “King-Size Homer”, Homer here is still much closer to his old version than the typical Jerkass Homer of these late seasons.

Yet I hate episodes like “Girly Edition”, “The Two Mrs. Nahasapeemapetilons”, “King of the Hill” or “Trash of the Titans” because either the premise is too teevee, or it gave Homer an excuse to be insuferable in painful, unfunny ways. I put “D’oh in the Wind” in this group, so I basically never watch it.

Dr. Monroe on Quote of the Day
Anonymous on Behind Us Forever: A Father…
Ryan on Behind Us Forever: A Father…
Ryan on Quote of the Day