Mar

Behind Us Forever: A Father’s Watch

“I have a watch with a minute hand.” – Bart Simpson
“Alright, you can come. What time is it?” – Mr. Smithers
“12:80. No, wait. Wait. What comes after twelve?” – Bart Simpson
“One.” – Mr. Smithers
“No, after twelve.” – Bart Simpson

First off, sorry for there not being a Behind Us Forever for “22 for 30” last week. I was traveling Monday and Tuesday and by the time Wednesday rolled around I really didn’t feel like getting back into it. For those who haven’t seen it, Zombie Simpsons replaced character exposition with voiceover narrator exposition, Bart shaved points in a basketball game, and that was about it.

This week it’s back to character exposition. Springfield goes through a couple of parenting fads, first wanting to give all their kids trophies, and then not wanting to do that. Meanwhile, Grampa gives Bart an old pocketwatch that makes Bart feel confident (which he apparently hadn’t been doing before). Bart loses it, then Homer gets it, then Homer gives it to Bart. Then, in another one of those bizarre post-credit sequences they rely on so heavily to fill their time, Ralph Wiggum gets drafted into the NBA with the NBA commissioner voicing himself.

The watch Grampa gives Bart has great significance, which the show repeatedly reminds us of through statements like this one, “That watch was the only thing that made me not terrible, I can’t lose it”. Homer even had what had to be a 30 second rant in the middle in which he explained three or four times why he cared about the watch, but I’m staying with a friend of mine and the DVR only recorded a couple minutes of the show, so I can’t transcribe it. (The torrent isn’t up yet, and I need to go to bed soon because I’ve got to get up at 6am to catch two trains and then get in a truck to drive to Arizona. Being semi-homeless isn’t as bad as I thought it was gonna be, but it does not respect one’s preferred schedule very often.) Homer also yelled about Freud a lot.

This episode opens in Frog Heaven where we see two angel frogs talking about what’s happening to one of their bodies back down on Earth. Turns out Bart is desecrating it more than dissecting it. There’s maybe the kernel of a good joke in here, but Zombie Simpsons runs it into the ground by cutting back and fourth about five times and repeating it so often that they end with the frogs getting tired of their own gag.

From there we get a couple of parenting experts who give different advice, two montages, lots more exposition, and a scene where Bart repeatedly drops rocks on Milhouse’s head. Since I have no screen grabs, I can’t properly illustrate any of these scenes, but take my word for it when I say that they make no sense. For example, Bart losing the watch – one of the few discernible plot points in the episode – occurs for no reason at the end of a montage. Since one episode of Zombie Simpsons is pretty much like all the others these days, I think you get the idea.

I was able to get this quote down live, “My trophy business has failed”. Try to guess what had just happened. You will not be wrong.

9 Responses to “Behind Us Forever: A Father’s Watch”

1. 1 Rib K.
    20 March 2017 at 4:50 am

Great summation of this trash.

20 March 2017 at 7:30 am

Sounds relatively bland and forgettable, which is probably the best that Zombie Simpsons can hope for these days.

3. 3 Dman
    20 March 2017 at 1:59 pm

I still don’t get why Bart getting the watch suddenly filled him with such pride and confidence. It was a thing he didn’t even know about till the moment he got it. Probably over thinking something that isn’t meant to be thought about.

Homer does a lot of bad singing in this episode.

4. 20 March 2017 at 4:41 pm

That joke about Bart’s watch always make me laugh

5. 5 Monty Python Forever
    20 March 2017 at 6:26 pm

Please tell me why 22 for 30 was so awful. I brained my damage watching creatively bankrupt shit like Kamp Krustier, Logan, the television show Taken and Batman versus Superman recently, but I thought it was great.

• 6 Ryan
      21 March 2017 at 7:59 am

Tell me why it was good beyond some jokes that made you laugh and I might watch it.

• 7 Anonymous
        21 March 2017 at 3:16 pm

C’mon MPF, you should know by now you aren’t allowed to have a different opinion from Ryan, it gets ‘im all cranky

• 8 Ryan
          28 March 2017 at 10:29 am

Uh… he’s the one with the different opinion. This site is anti-zombie Simpsons. And I didn’t even make fun of him for it, I just wanted to know why it was good.

Bleeding Gums Murphy on Quote of the Day
Sarah J on Quote of the Day
Concerned Citizen on Quote of the Day
Anonymous on Behind Us Forever: Dogtow…
Victor D on Quote of the Day