May

Briefly Behind Us Forever: Moho House

“Uh, you look pretty clean. You, uh, mind if I have this dance?” – Moe
“It’s all yours.” – Disgusted Woman
“Okay, I won’t lie to you. A lot of people saw that.” – Homer Simpson

By this time Wednesday I’m going to be in a post-anesthetic fog following (what I hope will be successful) shoulder surgery. Since I’m only going to have one useful arm for eight weeks, I’ve got a ton of stuff to get done before that. Hence, the episode summary below is shorter than normal. If you haven’t watched “Moho House”, you will be unsurprised to learn that it suffers from a nonsense plot, lots of exposition, repeated jokes, and the usual array of Zombie Simpsons problems.

This one is another in the “will Marge and Homer break up?” series. (Non-spoiler: they don’t.) You see, Marge is once again mad at Homer, only this time an old friend of Burns comes into town and makes a bet that he can break them up. To do so he gives Moe a trendy club to manage. They even briefly bring back the talking bar rag, albeit now it’s silent because sure, why not?

Here’s a taste of some of the dialogue:

Homer: Honey, when you were talking about those flowers, was it a metaphor for anything? Was it? Honey? Metaphor?

Later, at Moe’s new club:

Marge: Moe, good to see you.
Moe: Good to see you, Midge. Boy, who knew you’d look so great in a strapless dress.
Marge: Well, thank you.
Moe [directly to camera]: Methinks I see my opportunity.
Sideshow Mel: Why are you telling me?
Moe: I always considered us friends.

If you guessed that Marge never left and Mel just appeared from nowhere, you’d be correct. This episode is full of those kinds of stilted, unnatural interactions, like when Smithers tells Homer how to give a gift to Marge, or Moe tells Marge what Homer thinks about her, or pretty much everything involving Burns old pal who’s trying to break Marge and Homer up because he apparently wants to sleep with Smithers (don’t ask, it doesn’t make any sense on screen and will make even less if I try to describe it).

For fun with repeat jokes, Homer at one point is begging Marge to forgive him and walks (on his knees) by Bart and Lisa. Then this happens:

Homer: I hope you kids haven’t lost any respect for your old man.
Bart: Uh, can’t lose what you don’t have.
Homer: Thanks, boy.

This is a dumber and more explicit way of redoing this exchange from “War of the Simpsons

Homer: I just hope you didn’t lose a lot of respect for me.
Bart: Dad, I have as much respect for you as I ever did or ever will.

One of those is Bart subtly fooling Homer during what Homer thinks is a moment of father-son bonding. The other is Homer stopping briefly to be a dumbass.

Anyway, the numbers are in and continue to be basement drain level low. Last night just 2.28 million viewers checked their watches as Moe became love lorn once again.

8 Responses to “Briefly Behind Us Forever: Moho House”

1. 1 Milpool
    8 May 2017 at 4:25 pm

The reason why Nigel wanted Smithers was because of the deep bond he saw him have with Mr. Burns, as by his quote that Smithers doesn’t treat love as an illusion. Nigel was stuck in a loveless and nonexistent marriage with his gold digging wife, and was rather fickle over the idea that any love bond can be unbreakable. Why the Simpsons themselves are forced into this episode to prove the point really steamrolls over the message and strength of the moral – the show would have done perfectly without them in this case, but hey, gotta shove the family in there somewhere since they are in the title.

2. 2 Bleeding Gums Murphy
    8 May 2017 at 5:09 pm

“Since I’m only going to have one useful arm for eight weeks,”

So this place’s gonna be Hell for a while, then.

8 May 2017 at 8:23 pm

A Homer and Marge marriage crisis? I got sick of those eleven seasons ago!

4. 4 Ryan
    9 May 2017 at 4:04 am

That moe and sideshow mel being friends thing is so weird. I came across some video on youtube where someone noticed those 2 characters interact a lot. Wonder if the writers saw that.

• 5 Anonymous
      9 May 2017 at 10:54 am

Moe and Mel? So when did this nonsense start happening?

You know, since they’re so desperate for and in need of new material for the show after so long, they should just fucking do it already. Do it for real; make Homer and Marge break up. It’s not like they haven’t ruined the characters already. Break them up, make a big deal of it, and then figure out a semi-decent way to get them back together again other than “oh look, it’s the end of the episode”. But of course, that would take balls and creative talent, and both have shriveled up for Zombie Simpsons long ago.

Good luck with that surgery, Charlie. I doubt there’s any chance Mad Jon or Dave could take over for a while in your absence? It seems like you’re pretty much running the place by yourself these days. Or what about some guest articles?

5. 6 Bleeding Gums Murphy
    9 May 2017 at 10:33 pm

He regularly reads this blog and your Behind Us Forever posts, including this one, because there was no other way he could know about your operation. That, or he follows your other twitter account.

Hey Al Jean, you’re an stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and your butt smells… and you like to kiss your own butt.

• 7 Anonymous
      10 May 2017 at 11:09 am

My bet is that he checks Charlie’s twitter account. But in the somewhat likely event he glances at this place once in a while, he should really take our advice and try to fix some of the most basic problems of the show. No, I don’t expect him to do the right thing and kill the show off willingly or be able to keep the characters IN character anymore, but he could try to address the randomly appearing/disappearing characters or the wave after wave of pointless exposition. Things like that. That way, at least, the remaining few ZS fans (and Charlie) would have to suffer less, at least slightly.

• 8 Bleeding Gums Murphy
        10 May 2017 at 2:12 pm

As much as I hate ZS and I consider it a disgrace of The Simpsons’ legacy, I don’t really think Jean has the power to change the show, even with protection against executive meddling. It’s also a stable job for the people involved, which would be the most affected by the show’s eventual cancellation. Changing the show at this state would imply public acknowledge of its problems and poor quality, and that’s what Fox doesn’t want to speak about, even despite they pretty much admit it by appealing to the older seasons through TV specials and callbacks. It’s fun to poke at Jean, though.

The Artist Formerly… on Quote of the Day