Sep

“So if you kind of mentally snip out the part where I already had a husband, that’s my idea of romance.” – Marge Simpson

25 September 2017 at 10:42 am

I think this is the only clip show from the classic seasons that I don’t really like. I don’t hate it, and Lisa’s “romance is dead” quote is just perfect, but this is definitely on my “least watched” list and won’t be changing anytime soon. I think it’s the fact that the family gets all meta with discussing their love lives with each other, and in particular, Homer and Marge’s discussion of their almost-affairs is what puts me off. I like “The Last Temptation of Homer” better than “Colonel Homer” because I feel like it was a truer test of Homer’s loyalty to Marge when she didn’t know about the “other woman”, whom Homer also felt a mutual attraction to, whereas with Lurleen, he was completely ignorant of her feelings until the last minute.

Having Homer openly talk about Mindy and Marge talk about Jacques, to the whole family, just feels really awkward, especially in front of the kids. And speaking of which, why in the world would the kids want to talk about their own love lives in front of their parents, particularly Bart? Even putting in jokes about Mindy hitting the bottle or Homer’s advice to Marge about letting Jacques down gently just can’t salvage this for me. My two cents.

• 2 Dave
      25 September 2017 at 8:12 pm

some good points there, but it was just a clip show. I guess we’re lucky they bothered with any sort of framing device. At least it wasn’t some sort of musical shenanigans.

• 3 Anonymous
        27 September 2017 at 11:03 am

I know. I think I may have griped about this episode before, so I regret it a little now, but it took me a while to figure out why I didn’t really like it, despite the fact that it had some good jokes and stuff, and this seemed to be the best way I could explain it. I’d still rather watch this than most double-digit season episodes, even the tolerable ones, but maybe that goes without saying.

• 4 Bleeding Gums Murphy
      27 September 2017 at 5:11 pm

I see “Last Temptation” as a companion for “Colonel Homer”. Both episodes are about Homer meeting a sexy woman, but in “Colonel Homer” we see Marge’s reaction and Homer being unaware of Lurleen’s feelings while in “Last Temptation” Marge doesn’t know about Mindy but Homer is afraid even TV is telling him to have sex with Mindy.

I personally prefer “Colonel Homer” because I love Marge and I love watching a well written episode where her character is explored for once. And she reacts in very Marge ways. We see her calling her sisters when Homer isn’t in the house, which is what real Marge would do. Can you imagine how shitty would that episode have been had they put “It’s a Mad x4 Marge” Marge here? Or “Screaming Yellow Honkers” Marge?

• 28 September 2017 at 10:38 pm

They have that, it’s called “Papa Don’t Leech” and it aired in Season 19. In which they retconned “Colonel Homer” so that Marge apparently called Lurleen stuff like “Southern-fried succubus” and “Hee-Haw ho” behind her back.

• 6 Bleeding Gums Murphy
          30 September 2017 at 6:27 am

“[…] they can’t track down is Lurleen Lumpkin, who has been missing for years. She hides out with the Simpsons, just ’cause, then they reunite her with her deadbeat father, just ’cause, who then steals her song and sells it to the Dixie Chicks, just ’cause. I can’t even write out plot points anymore without them seeming like jokes.”

“Lurleen mentions she’s been married thrice before, showing off photos of varied ethnic men who all look like Homer. Then at the end of the show we see a boorish Homer-like roadie Lurleen’s shacked up with, who crudely asks her for a hundred for beer. So the gag here is that she’s attracted to men like Homer, except here it’s retconned. She fell for Homer because he was kind and helpful, and selfless for helping her with her career, a real sweetheart. But modern-day Homer is none of those things: he’s a selfish, self-absorbed asshole. So all of Lurleen’s newly discovered failed relationships reflect this. Plus, her long lost father apparently destroyed her faith in men, which I guess is what drove her to be with these dickheads in the first place, which now includes the current incarnation of Homer. ”

“[…] We see Grampa driving Homer at night when their car is cut off the road (by Patty and Selma, who are quite happy with this) and tumbles down a cliff. Grampa is seriously injured, and informs his son he’ll need to take care of him during recovery. Instead of call for help, Homer proceeds to smother his own father to death. And of course it was all a dream, a wonderful dream that Homer bemoans waking up from. […] this scene is handled in such a dramatic and intense way, followed by Homer’s satisfaction of it”

“Homer speculates twice this episode about how he could get away with ditching his family. ”

• 7 Bleeding Gums Murphy
          30 September 2017 at 6:31 am

“Lurleen mentions she’s been married thrice before, showing off photos of varied ethnic men who all look like Homer. Then at the end of the show we see a boorish Homer-like roadie Lurleen’s shacked up with, who crudely asks her for a hundred for beer. So the gag here is that she’s attracted to men like Homer, except here it’s retconned. She fell for Homer because he was kind and helpful, and selfless for helping her with her career, a real sweetheart. But modern-day Homer is none of those things: he’s a selfish, self-absorbed asshole. So all of Lurleen’s newly discovered failed relationships reflect this. Plus, her long lost father apparently destroyed her faith in men, which I guess is what drove her to be with these dickheads in the first place, which now includes the current incarnation of Homer.”

“Grampa is seriously injured, and informs his son he’ll need to take care of him during recovery. Instead of call for help, Homer proceeds to smother his own father to death. And of course it was all a dream, a wonderful dream that Homer bemoans waking up from.”

“Homer speculates twice this episode about how he could get away with ditching his family.”

• 8 Bleeding Gums Murphy
          30 September 2017 at 6:41 am

Does this site has a spam protection filter? I tried to write a reply to this post twice, but the Internet Monster has eaten it. That, or because I linked to two external sites (Frinkiac and Me Blog Write Good). Um.

26 September 2017 at 8:11 pm

This episode reminds me of those “all new” Loony Tunes/Merrie Melodies TV specials and movies from the 70’s and 80’s that contained a few minuets of original material and the rest of the program being stuff cut and paste from old cartoons we’ve already seen numerous times. They always looked so wonky the way you would see 1947 Bugs Bunny edited together with 1960 Bugs Bunny trying to make it look as if it was from the same cartoon. Here they edited footage from season 1 with the then current season and it just doens’t look right. And this episode is from the begining of season 6 and they’re reminiscing about episodes from the end of season 5.

In addition to Lisa’s line about Disney and Hallmark I did enjoy her line commenting on how in “I Love Lisa” the children walked home without jackets as it was an unusually warm February 14th. It always annoyed me how on the Simpsons there was always a foot of snow on the ground at Christmas but when it was Valentine’s Day, the superbowl, St. Patrick’s Day, or any other time that would take place in the winter all the trees would have green leaves and no one would be wearing jackets outside.

• 10 Victor D
      30 September 2017 at 3:50 pm

Wow, had no idea about the Looney Tunes 70’s/80’s stuff. Makes me wonder if the Itchy & Scratchy quote from this episode was not only making fun of the episode’s clip show format, but also what you mentioned as well.

3. 27 September 2017 at 10:51 am

I can’t dump on the writers for the clip shows, knowing that they were mandated by FOX and they were only allowed about three minutes of new footage per episode. Hell, they even managed to turn that into a joke here, cobbling most of the wraparound sequences together from redubbed clips from past episodes, jumping around from the art styles of Season 1 to Season 5 willy-nilly. It’s like they’re saying “Yes, they gave us no budget for this episode, but we’re just gonna own it and be as obvious as possible about it.”

4. 12 Victor D
    30 September 2017 at 3:23 pm

Yeah, out of all the clip shows from the “classic seasons” (1 to 11), I’d probably rank them all as follows:

1) 138th Episode Spectacular (Season 7)
    2) So It’s Come To This (Season 4)
    3) Another Simpsons Clip Show (Season 6)
    4) All Singing, All Dancing (Season 9)

I put the Season 4 clip show near the top since no footage is even reused until after the first commercial break. Had a hard time deciding where to rank #3 and #4 since I like the clips more in the Season 9 one while I like the surrounding stuff more in the Season 6 one. I went with Season 6’s clip show over Season 9’s, but just barely due to the funnier lines overall in the non-clip portions.

Of course, it should go without saying why I put 138th at the very top. That episode is on level of god-tier, not even repackaging already-seen clips but instead using unused footage we’ve never seen before, in addition to adding additional stuff in between. Only downside I can think of is that the digital animation feels really wonky compared to Radioactive Man, but IMO that just lends itself to it’s clip show charm.

Ryan on Quote of the Day