Oct

“C’mon, TV, gimme some of that sweet, sweet pep…” – Homer Simpson
“Let’s define our terms, gentlemen. Are we talking about redistricting or are we talking about reapportionment?” – Municipal Roundtable Guy
“Oh, well. Can’t win ’em all.” – Homer Simpson
“We interrupt this public affairs program to bring you a football game.” – TV Announcer
“Yes!” – Homer Simpson

8 October 2017 at 1:01 pm

Homer’s dance is great, but the “Municipal Roundtable” logo always slays me.

2. 2 Bleeding Gums Murphy
    8 October 2017 at 5:40 pm

This is completely offtopic, but I have watched “Simpson Safari” as I have no memories of having seen it as a kid (unlike other episodes from Season 12 and 13), and reading Charlie’s commentary of the commentary for this episode, it surprised me he hated the jokes about Homer and the kids in the store before they cut to Marge, Hibbert and Maggie in the hospital. I admit Bart taking the bottle of wine was weird, but otherwise I thought they were fine (it was the only part of the episode I didn’t dislike). Does anyone also hate those jokes or what?

Oh, and I hated the episode btw, it was pure shit.

• 3 Anonymous
      10 October 2017 at 5:20 pm

BGM, I’ve always enjoyed your posts and I was suprised to see you describe this episode as “pure shit.” This has always been one of my favorites. It’s pretty basic. It’s just about Homer not wanting to go to church. It’s very grounded in reality like “Bart vs. Thanksgiving”, “Homer vs. Patty and Selma”, and “Lisa’s Sax”. As much as I enjoy the larger than life episodes like “Marge vs. the Monorail” and “Rosebud” it was always nice to see the Simpsons just act like real people in a completely relatable scenario like this one.

• 4 Bleeding Gums Murphy
        10 October 2017 at 7:05 pm

Sorry, the “pure shit” comment is about “Simpson Safari”. Which is awful, and only the pre-Hibbert part isn’t terrible IMO.

“Homer the Heretic” is flawless and fantastic. And, yeah, I usually enjoy the “grounded in reality” episodes a little more than the “larger than life” ones (“Lisa’s Pony” is currently my favourite episode), but Flanders saving Homer from the fire is damn funny.

>I’ve always enjoyed your posts

Aaaw, thank you!

• 6 Charlie Sweatpants
      12 October 2017 at 8:16 am

“it surprised me he hated the jokes about Homer and the kids in the store before they cut to Marge, Hibbert and Maggie in the hospital”

I’ll cop to not remembering that part, but I do truly hate “Simpson Safari”. Twas the episode that broke what was left of my spirit.

• 7 Anonymous
        12 October 2017 at 10:25 am

“Simpsons Safari” was indeed vile, and I can’t believe I kept watching the show after that, though not for very long. That said, I will shamefully admit to liking “sack monkey” quite a bit, and the “bloodless coup … all smotherings” bit, although I didn’t even remember that part until I saw it on a post here. The rest of that episode can go die in the tire fire.

• 8 Bleeding Gums Murphy
          12 October 2017 at 4:10 pm

Other than what Charlie and Amato have said in the past, I would add that there are a few bits in the Africa parts that could have been turned into an actual plot: the political instability of African countries, the colonial past of the continent, the lack of preservation and the exploitation of its fauna, people like Jane Goodall, even the diamonds. It wouldn’t have been good (it’s Season 12), but it would have made a little more creative than other episodes like “Pokey Mom” or “Skinner’s Sense of Snow”, who are the least unwatchable episodes of S12 but suffer from a lack of a real story, instead being each episode 22 minutes of barely nothing happening. Instead, they went to the same premise and execution as the Tokyo episode (“The Simpsons are going to X!”, unrelated scenes, general nonsense, etc).

• 9 Bleeding Gums Murphy
        12 October 2017 at 1:33 pm

Yeah, I know it finally broke your spirit, which is why I was really interested on the episode and how awful it was. But Jebus, Maggie eating a whole Time magazine. I don’t even understand why would they come up with jokes like that, even in Season 12.

3. 8 October 2017 at 7:17 pm

As a fan of Futurama and now Bob’s Burgers I hate football with a fiery passion. Still an all time classic episode.