Oct

“Paintings, lifeless images rendered in colorful goop. But at night, they take on a life of their own. They become portals to Hell so scary and horrible and gruesome that-” – Bart Simpson
“Bart, you should warn people this episode is very frightening, and maybe they’d rather listen to that old War of the Worlds broadcast on NPR.” – Marge Simpson
“Yes, mother.” – Bart Simpson
“Good. Now, you hold Maggie. I’m going to buy some earrings from the gift shop.” – Marge Simpson

1. 1 Bleeding Gums Murphy
    31 October 2017 at 10:28 am

I already made my ToH marathon. Ah, it was good, very good.

31 October 2017 at 11:01 am

I think this is the last one I watched, though I may do another today. For the past few years, I’ve tried to watch all of the good THoH episodes throughout October, but I’m starting to wonder if I should only watch a few of them, so it doesn’t start to feel too repetitive. I usually try to avoid watching them during the rest of the year, which helps a little. It sucks that ZS couldn’t even do decent Halloween episodes for very long.

What do the rest of you do this time of year?

• 3 Bleeding Gums Murphy
      31 October 2017 at 4:31 pm

I would recommend ToH I-VIII and the alien Maggie and Xena segments from IX and X. Premise wise the only repeat is Kang and Kodos having a story about them (I, the ending of Lisa’s nightmare in II, IX). However, there are some concepts/jokes that are repeated with some differences (Marge’s warnings, Kang and Kodos laughing for like 10-15 seconds, some character poorly covering something Halloweeny happening). But honestly, the classic ToH aren’t repetitive at all.

• 5 Joe
      2 November 2017 at 5:39 am

If you want to mix things up, Futurama’s Anthology of Interest episodes or The Honking might be a nice change of pace.

• 6 Anonymous
        2 November 2017 at 10:19 am

I watch other shows, of course, and those are good too (although the bastards at Netflix have removed the good seasons of Futurama now), but I was talking about THoH specifically here, since this is a Simpsons website and all.

3. 9 acreatureididnotknow
    31 October 2017 at 11:27 am

This was the best one.

• 10 Anonymous
      1 November 2017 at 11:32 am

I definitely can’t pick a favorite episode from the usual list, and I don’t think I could do it for a THoH either. It’s like a parent being asked to pick a favorite child–while they’re all in earshot.

• 11 acreatureididnotknow
        1 November 2017 at 12:57 pm

Ha, I’d certainly struggle to pick an overall favourite episode ever, or even a favourite series; but for me the Halloween episodes have never been a massive highlight. This one, I’ll happily rewatch through the year, and all 3 stories are great, and the art gallery wraparound works well. Easy pick for me but maybe because I’m not so invested in these episodes.

Ryan on Quote of the Day