Nov

“The Simpsons will be reborn as a bunch of gap toothed bumpkins!” – Homer Simpson
“I’ll dig an outhouse!” – Bart Simpson
“I’ll weed the floor!” – Lisa Simpson
“I’ll repress the rage I’m feeling!” – Marge Simpson
“That’s my girl.” – Homer Simpson

7 November 2017 at 11:12 am

Yet another episode I used to think was decent, but now can see is mostly trash. It has its moments; I love “What part of ‘stop cutting off my dress’ don’t you understand?” (which has gotten more mileage than I would have thought), “I… am a COWARD!”, and the “Glove Slap” song. But after they get to the farm and the whole “Tomacco” plot kicks in, it’s slim pickin’s.

• 2 Lucille Bryant
      7 November 2017 at 2:50 pm

Same here, but the “I’ll repress the rage I’m feeling” part (along with Marge’s fractured smile) still holds up, so it’s not all bad, but it’s not that great, either.

• 3 Bleeding Gums Murphy
      7 November 2017 at 3:55 pm

I can’t be sure about what did I think about this joke when I rewatched “E-I-E-I-D’oh” a few weeks ago (after having not seen it in many yeard), I think I didn’t like it, but I do remember that I wasn’t as down with this episode as the DHS people in their Crazy Noises. There are many low points, sure, but, for example, I kinda (just kinda) liked Lenny and Carl’s scene later in the episode, as it didn’t take that much of a time. Also, because as a kid I loved the adicted animals saying “Tomaccooooo!!!”, I quoted it a lot. But yeah, things like the plutonium are things that are hard to digest.

The reason why I think I disliked this joke (and why I think it works better on paper and as a QotD) is because I think it takes Marge’s self-repressing nature and stretches it past its breaking point. I simply don’t really see Marge having such a broken, cartoonish smile. They made her lose her mind in “Fear of Flying”, and it was way better handled. It’s also too explicit and in-your-face, nowhere as good as, say, Homer ignoring Marge’s comments and then (and the kids) gaslighting her at the beginning of “A Strertcar Named Marge”. Then again, stretching things too much is a common problem in Season 10-11.

• 4 James M
        7 November 2017 at 7:25 pm

“I’ll repress the rage I’m feeling” was very Zombie-ish since it is just a reference that she has to put up with Homer’s idiotic plans and is forcibly putting up with it, with Homer’s response being extra layers of jerkass.

• 5 Bleeding Gums Murphy
          7 November 2017 at 7:41 pm

That’s true too, at this point in the show either she did nothing or she had poor mental health. But I was mostly talking about the line itself, ignoring the context (which is Zombie-ish), because even if this were a real Simpsons episode I would still dislike the joke. It’s too exaggerated, regardless of the season.

2. 6 Frank
    7 November 2017 at 12:39 pm

huh, it’s one of my favourites because of the whole tomacco story line. and those coked-up animals still give me the heebie-jeebies! I liked “tastes like Grandma”, and “Go get Lassie… I mean Lisa” (though I do find it a bit problematic considering how society still likes to associate females with canines – but the play on words and Homer’s dedication to being a farmer even when injured was funny)

• 7 Lucille Bryant
      7 November 2017 at 2:52 pm

>” I do find it a bit problematic considering how society still likes to associate females with canines…”

Oh, take your PC BS and cry about that on Tumblr. That’s just Homer being dumb as usual (since he barely knows that he has two daughters, mostly because Bart’s a pain in the ass and gets on his case all the time).

• 11 Bleeding Gums Murphy
      7 November 2017 at 3:27 pm

I’m gonna be way more positive than Lucille Bryant (as I am what Lucillle would call a SJW) and ask you if you could develop your point about females and canines, as I’m not sure about what are you talking about.

• 12 James M
      7 November 2017 at 7:20 pm

Pretty sure they only used that Lassie / Lisa joke was because her name was a close pun and not because she’s a girl.

Also I don’t quite get your point about women and dogs. Men are also pretty commonly associated with canines too (i.e. “wolf” “hound” “dawg” — slang terms that are almost elusively referring to men) and while it’s hardly latterly, it’s a pretty common depiction among both sexes.

I always assumed women were more associated with felines than canines anyway.

• 13 Bleeding Gums Murphy
        8 November 2017 at 10:03 am

>I always assumed women were more associated with felines than canines anyway.

That was my assumption too. Cats have been associated with witches and “crazy” women. Zombie Simpsons has the Crazy Cat Lady as a regular character. But maybe Frank was talking about something different.

• 14 Frank
      8 November 2017 at 12:23 pm

So let me start by saying that I agree 100% that the joke was the Lassie/Lisa switcheroo, and as an added bonus it said something about the relationship and trust that Homer had with/in Lisa – that he would call her when he needed help.

About the canine comment – when you want to insult a woman, you call her a “bitch” or a “dog” (among other things), and while I 100% believe this wasn’t the intention, for whatever reason I made this association.

Like the joke was 100% funny, but because of the history of associating women with dogs when you want to insult them, I kinda wanted to point that out. So it’s not so much the joke itself – while the intentions being 100% pure – it’s kinda tarnished somewhat because of what other people have done.

Like calling a cop a ‘pig’. If you’re going to insult a cop you go to that word. Now if you want to portray a cop as an animal (for a show or movie), you might use any other animal, but maybe you would think twice about using a pig. You might have an interesting non-insulting reason to use a pig, but because it’s often used to insult cops, you might think twice.

7 November 2017 at 5:04 pm

I would describe this episode as stupid but still a lot of fun. I always enjoyed the scene where Homer is telling Ned about how much he has treasured their friendship but cuts it short because he doesn’t want to deposit another ten cents.

It bugs me though in the scene where the Wiggums and Simpsons don’t seem to know each other, and who was taking care of Santa’s Little Helper and Snowball II at this time?, and didn’t the farmhouse they were living in burn down at the end of “Grampa vs. Sexual Inadequacy”? At this point in the show’s run I realized it was pointless to ask things like, “Doesn’t Homer have to be at work?” or “who’s watching Maggie right now?”

Ryan on Quote of the Day