Jan

“Stop remembering TV and get back to work!” – Marge Simpson
“What’s the point of all this cleaning? Are we so vain?” – Homer Simpson

1. 1 Frank
    18 January 2018 at 2:06 pm

that’s a UUGE basement. one could make an awesome man-cave or rumpus room in there, like Flanders did.

nice touch to add those metal connectors that join the 2 pieces of lumber

• 2 Anonymous
      20 January 2018 at 4:18 am

I noticed that as well since this episode aired, that the basement was huge and had a really high ceiling. Compare it to the way it looked in “Hurricane Neddy” when the celling was so low Marge’s hair touched it. And the entrance was outside, no doubt to give more dramatic effect of the Simpsons hiding from the hurricane. And where was the dog and cat during the hurricane? I’m rambling.

I always enjoyed seeing the basement, attic, closets, etc. where we got to see artifacts from previous episodes like the Omec Indian head. When I was a kid I’m pretty sure I was responsible for breaking a VCR from all my Simpsons freeze framing but I just needed to see what was hiding in the floorboards of the Simpsons’ house during the quick panoramic shots. I loved seeing stuff that I knew only a fraction of the people watching would ever even notice.

19 January 2018 at 11:08 am

I like when he calls the basement and everyone else is like “Fine!”

He obviously hadn’t been down there in a while.

3. 4 Dave
    19 January 2018 at 3:00 pm

Say this to my wife far too often =p
    haha!

4. 5 Lucille Bryant
    23 January 2018 at 12:29 am

My favorite part with Homer cleaning the basement is the part that usually gets cut in syndication. You know, Homer not using the cleaners in a well-ventilated area, getting high off the fumes, and getting attacked by the product logos (Mr. Clean, Scrubbing Bubbles, some knight, and a turtle).

I find it odd that people hated this episode when it first came out just because of Bart owning an elephant was an unrealistic premise, when you consider that (a) the writers realistically showed that a lower-middle class family with only one person making money would never be able to afford an elephant, and (b) later episodes would be worse than this in terms of stretching reality and believability. I wonder if there are people out there who still hate the episode, or have they just accepted it as a classic since there are worse episodes than this now.

• 6 Bleeding Gums Murphy
      23 January 2018 at 6:49 pm

Back in Season 1 they sent Bart to France and replaced him with a communist spy, so Bart getting an elephant is not even unrealistic for S01’s standards. However, things like Homer in space would be a little out of place in Season 3, for example. Personally, my biggest complain is that the Stampy episode doesn’t really have a story, which was rare for “The Simpsons”, but since the episode is hella funny and doesn’t really want to tell a story, it’s not an actual problem (unlike, say, Season 8 episodes where the story can barely sustain two acts).

• 7 Sarah J
      27 January 2018 at 1:23 am

The elephant episode was kind of pushing it, but it’s not like it veered into full fantasy territory. And they did give a funny reason for why they ended up getting an elephant, and as you say, showed that they couldn’t afford it. I like it better than the premise where they all go to Ireland with no mention of how they can afford such a trip.

5. 8 Sarah J
    27 January 2018 at 1:23 am

I love the angle of this shot. Adds a lot to the scene.