Sep

“They call her ‘The Cat Lady’. People say she’s crazy just because she has a few dozen cats. But can anyone who loves animals that much really be crazy?” – Lisa Simpson

13 September 2018 at 1:07 pm

I enjoyed the Cat Lady in this episode. Shame to hear that they’ve made her one of their terrible and overused recurring characters in ZS.

• 2 Gabbo
      15 September 2018 at 11:21 am

Have they given her actual lines yet? I’d be really surprised if they haven’t.

• 3 Anonymous
        15 September 2018 at 1:33 pm

Outside her crazy gibbering? Dunno. I think in one of the insipid scenes I read about her being in, they subtitled the gibberish, but as far as actual words go, I’m not sure. Either way, she should never have been used again outside this episode.

• 4 Todd Flanders
        15 September 2018 at 11:27 pm

They have. I don’t recall the episode but there’s a scene where she’s completely lucid and talking with the Simpsons and Marge notes “aren’t you that crazy cat lady?” and there’s something about the medication she forgot to take and then she turns back. And in an episode that’s in a documentary style it shows how she turned from being a lawyer and into her current self after she got some cats. She turns out to be only 40 years old. And her name is Eleanor Abernathy. I think there might have been others. I’ve seen every episode of zombie Simpsons at least once but it’s all a bit of a blur to me now.

• 5 Anonymous
          16 September 2018 at 1:56 pm

Ugh, that’s even more pathetic than I thought.

I hope you have a good therapist on speed-dial. Do you ever get any Skinner-esque PTSD flashbacks?

• 6 Todd Flanders
            16 September 2018 at 8:15 pm

No, nothing like that. Watching ZS isn’t traumatizing like seeing a train wreck. It’s more mind numbing like watching paint dry.

• 7 Todd Flanders
      15 September 2018 at 11:32 pm

She clearly was meant to be just a one note character and then kept being brought back, similar to Disco Stu. But if you want to talk the most overused characters in ZS it’s a three way tie between Moe, Lenny, and Carl.

• 8 Ryan
        16 September 2018 at 12:51 am

>But if you want to talk the most overused characters in ZS it’s a three way tie between Moe, Lenny, and Carl.

Because they’re the easiest characters to write for. Writing for Barney would involve some effort.

• 9 Todd Flanders
          16 September 2018 at 7:51 pm

You are spot on here Ryan. All the ZS writers need to do is show Lenny and Carl together and they got them right. They were intentionally underdeveloped characters whose purpose in the show was to underreact at Homer’s incompetence. Don’t get me wrong, Lenny and Carl are great guys, they’re just not overly complicated individuals. In addition to Barney Burns, Smithers, Patty, Selma, and Dr. Nick have all taken a back seat in ZS because writing for them would take effort.

• 10 Anonymous
        16 September 2018 at 1:59 pm

I think Disco Stu was good for a couple of uses, like Gil, so less of a one-scene wonder than Crazy Cat Lady, but I jumped ship early once I noticed the rot setting in, so maybe if I’d seen more Zombie-sodes with him I’d hate him more.