Sep

Makeup Quote of the Day

“Wasted away again in Margaritaville . . . ” – Shary Bobbins
“Searching for my lost shaker of salt . . . Oh, here it is.” – Barney Gumble

10 Responses to “Makeup Quote of the Day”

17 September 2018 at 10:42 am

I used to think Barney’s line was something they made up until I heard the actual song. Him finding it was still pretty funny, though.

2. 2 Bleeding Gums Murphy
    17 September 2018 at 12:23 pm

I have never been a fan of this episode but I admit it’s probably better than the average Season 8 episode.

• 3 Anonymous
      18 September 2018 at 10:34 am

It’s one of those that I can’t quite make up my mind on. I think it’s mostly because the songs, while funny, get stuck in my head too damn easily. I can say that for most of them, though, but an entire episode’s worth can be a bit overwhelming for someone like me.

• 4 Bleeding Gums Murphy
        18 September 2018 at 11:05 am

My problem is that the idea of a musical episode in Season 8 feels like a rather desperate move to remain fresh and relevant, way too gimmicky. Perhaps the move wouldn’t have been desperate had they made it two or three years earlier (a musical episode in S5 would have been amazing), but in a season with episodes like I&S&Poochie, Homer’s Enemy, The Springfield Files, Homer’s Phobia or Spin-Off Showcase, it just falls flat. What makes it kinda better that the average S8 episode is that IIRC the pacing here isn’t too slow (it’s a musical episode, they can afford 2+ minutes long songs), unlike Springfield Files or Twisted World of Marge Simpson where you can see how entire scenes are dragged with unnecesary lines or character acting and moving slower, or longer scene cuts or just a bunch of seconds where nothing happens at all. But I found Marge’s meltdowm in Homer Alone waaaaaaaaaaaay better than here.

• 5 Anonymous
          19 September 2018 at 10:43 am

Yes, having a full-blown musical and Marge’s stress don’t really work that well here, but it’s fairly decent. Could be better, could be worse. But if you’re implying all those other episodes you listed are bad (maybe I’ll give you “Homer’s Enemy” as a freebie), I will vehemently disagree, especially on “The Springfield Files”. Them’s fightin’ words.

• 6 Bleeding Gums Murphy
            19 September 2018 at 11:05 am

No, I wasn’t saying all those episodes are bad (although I hate Spin-Off Showcase, dislike the Poochie episode and I’m cold towards Homer’s Enemy/Phobia), I’m merely saying the whole season feels tired and flat, because it’s full of episodes where they cut corners or went full meta. Season 7 had that problem as well, when most episodes retconned and reshaped the mythology of Springfield, and that’s a sign of weakness and tiredness, which makes sense because a show like The Simpsons cannot sustain itself forever. The Mona Simpson episode is great in itself, but it’s not that great when most of the season is like this, that’s why I mean. And that’s why Springfield Files or […]caligragilistic[…] didn’t work for me as well as they could, because I cannot divorce any episode of The Simpsons from its context.

• 7 Anonymous
              20 September 2018 at 10:29 am

I see your point. Perhaps we can agree to disagree, civilly, like adults.

Nah, that’s silly, I’ll just twist this bottle in your face and we’ll call it even.

• 9 Bleeding Gums Murphy
            19 September 2018 at 11:06 am

And personally, I find A Star Is Burns as the superior crossover.

3. 10 Ryan