Aug

“Bart! Lisa! If you don’t behave we’ll turn this car right around and go home!” – Marge Simpson
“But, Marge, I want to see my brother!” – Homer Simpson
“Oh, for God’s sakes, Homer, it’s an empty threat.” – Marge Simpson

1. 22 August 2019 at 3:47 pm

It might be time to weigh in on this one. https://splinternews.com/this-unwatchable-trump-satire-could-be-the-worst-thing-1837448044 I think it’s the worst thing they’ve done yet, and that’s plunging into some icy, unfathomable depths.

• 2 Anonymous
      23 August 2019 at 6:24 am

Zombie Simpsons keeps getting worse. This is why I wish this site talked about it more.

• 3 Anonymous
      23 August 2019 at 11:34 am

I’m not even going to try to watch that dreck. They can’t even handle their own characters anymore, so they certainly can’t do any meaningful political satire like they used to. I remember seeing a preview of Homer having some weird trip through his overly-bleached hairpiece before the election, and even watching that much was so dumb it made me die a little inside. They can’t even take low-hanging fruit and make it work anymore.

2. 4 Residents Fan
    25 August 2019 at 5:31 pm

“While I’m on this subject, I wish people would just stop trying to do such weak, half-hearted little attempts at “comedy” and “satire” with this douchebag and administration. For starters, it’s seldom actually funny, and for another thing, it seems to downplay the seriousness of everything going on, like this is just another “lol politicians, amirite?” situation. I kind of felt the same way when they were doing it with Dubya, but at least he could pretend to be a semi-normal politician at times.”

I’m reminded about how Chaplin said he would never have made the brilliant “The Great Dictator” if he’d known how bad things really were for Germany’s Jewish community.

The “West Wing Story” skit is badly animated and unfunny. It’s obviously imitating the Samantha Bee / Seth Meyers school of pseudo-comedy, which is aimed at making wealthy centrists in their “I’m Still With Her” T-Shirts feel smug.

I think you have a point about how difficult it is to make good comedy about Trump (or Brexit, or Jair Bolsonaro).

It needs anger, and courage and more than a “I see those clowns in Congress did it again. What a bunch of clowns!” attitude.

• 5 Anonymous
      27 August 2019 at 11:42 am

Yeah, all I’ve seen so far is cheap, easy, predictable and unfunny “jokes” like you might find about any run of the mill politician. Toothless and neutered. Makes me wonder how Classic Simpsons would’ve handled it.

• 6 Captain Horlicks
        31 August 2019 at 3:48 am

I’m not sure it’s possible to do good satire about Trump. Even South Park floundered. The most biting thing I saw came from the Family Guy episode where Peter fights Vladimir Putin.

V.O. “Putin and I finished our dance and talked long into the night. The next day, he poisoned me with radioactive tea on the way to the airport. I lost half my body weight, all of my hair, and I’m covered in lesions that will never heal. That’s our president’s best friend.”

Bleeding Gums Murphy on Quote of the Day